In my Previous post of Paruppu Keerai with Masoor Dal i have told the health benefits of this Humble, yet healthy Greens. I try to cook them whenever i get them. This Green can be cooked with various dal to give a different taste, so you dont get bored eating the same thing again and again. Here is another Tasty and Tangy recipe using this Keerai/Green.
2 Medium Bunches of Paruppu Keerai/Purslane Leaves (approxiamely 3 cups)
1/2 Cup Toor Dal/Pigeon Peas
2 Medium Size Tomato, chopped or 3 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 tsp Sambhar Powder (Homemade/Store bought)
2 tsp Freshly grated Coconut
Salt to taste
1-2 tsp Canola Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 Red Chilies, round variety, crushed
1/4 tsp Methi Seeds/Fenugreek Seeds
1/4 tsp hing
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Pressure Cook Toor Dal/Pigeon Peas with little turmeric for 3 whistles or until soft
- Wash, Clean and Chop Paruppu Keerai/Purslane Leaves.
- Heat Oil given under "Tempering" in a Non-Stick Pan, Splutter mustard seeds, add hing, curry leaves, methi/fenugreek seeds, crushed red chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add Chopped Tomatoes or Tomato Puree and add 1/2 Cup of Water. Add Sambhar Powder and Cook until Tomatoes are soft and oil separates.
- Add Chopped Purslane Leaves and another 1/2 cup of Water. Add Salt and Coconut. Mix well.
- Let this Cook for 15 minutes. By this time, the sambhar would have turned to a thick gravy. If it is too runny, let it sit for 5 more minutes.