For April Daring Baker's Challenge, Jason of Daily Candor challenged the bakers to prepare two dishes. One is the Armenian Nutmeg cake and the other is Armenian Nazook. i have already posted the recipe for Armenian Nutmeg Cake. We Enjoyed this Mildly Sugared Yeasted pastry more than the NutMeg cake. It has got an amazing flavour, Rich taste and Aroma, the magic that butter makes. It Stays good for 3-4 days when kept in an Air-tight container. Serve it Warm, it will taste great!!! Try Tasting it with little Nutella, Simply Out of the World!!!!!
Ingredients : Pastry dough
1 and 1/2 Cups (720 ml) All-purpose flour, sifted
1 and 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/2 cup softened butter (room temperature)a
3/4 Cup All-purpose Flour, sifted
3/4 Cup Brown sugar
6 tbsp softened butter (room temperature)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
2 tbsp Sour cream + 1 tsp Oil
Method : To Make the Filling
Take the all the ingredients given under Filling and Mix them together.
To Make the Dough
- In a Large Bowl, take the flour, add yeast and mix. Add Sour Cream and Butter, Work the dough using your hands. Knead well until dough doesn't stick to your hands, if it is sticky, add flour little by little and knead to get the result.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for a minimum of 3-5 hours. The Dough can be left overnight also. I prepared the dough in the afternoon and left it overnight and made Nazook the next day.
To Make the Nazook
- Preheat the Oven to 180C/350F. Line a Baking tray with parchment. i used a Round Cake tin.
- Take the Dough out of the refrigerator. Divide the dough.
- Generously Flour the Rolling Surface and start rolling out a portion of the dough in to a rectangle or Oval. The Rolled out dough should be thin, but not transparent.
- Spread the Filling evenly across the rolled out dough.
- Start Rolling the dough from outside to inside, i.e towards you.Make sure to keep the filling intact.
- Once rolled, give it a friendly pat on top, to flatten it.
- Apply the Cream-oil wash on top and Cut the Roll into equal size pieces.
- Place them on a baking tray and Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top turn golden brown. Allow it to cool a bit and Enjoy them a little Warm.