My Kiddo is an ardent fan of Dosa. Anytime, anyday, you give Dosa and a bowl(bucket) of Sambhar he is a Happy Kid. I bought an Appam Pan Last year from india, and haven't used it yet.Thought it is high time to take out that pan, so this weekend, i made him his Favorite dosa in a different Shape for Breakfast. He enjoyed it much.What attracts kids to this appam is the shape of it, the boat/bowl shaped Dosa, with a spongy center, they just love it!!!!
2 Cups Raw Rice
2 Cups Parboiled Rice
1/2 Cup Urad Dal
Salt to taste
1 and half Cup of Coconut Milk (Equal Mixture of Thick and thin milk)
6 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Soak Rice and Dal together for 3-4 hours. Drain and Grind them together to a Thick fine batter with little water. Add Salt and Mix together.
- Leave this batter on the Kitchen-top overnight for fermenting.
- Next Day Morning, Add the Coconut Milk Extract, Baking Soda, Sugar and Mix well.
- I have used Store-bought Coconut Milk. I used 1 cup Coconut Milk mixed with half Cup Water.
- Heat the Appam Pan, When it is hot, Pour a laddle of Batter in the center, and take the appam pan by its ears and Swirl around, so the batter coats the sides of the pan.
- Keep it back on the flame, Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Appam should be cooked by this time, Carefully take it using a Flat laddle and Keep it on a plate.
- Serve Hot with your favorite Curry.
Cauliflower-Peas Milky Curry
The Actual side-dish for appam would be Begetbale stew made using Coconut Milk, since the appam itself is rich with coconut milk, i wanted to try a less-calorie version using Plain Milk.
1/2 Kg Cauliflower
1/2 cup Peas
1 Large Onion, Chopped
1 Large tomato, Chopped
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 Cup Milk (I used Low-Fat Milk)
Salt to taste
- Cut the Cauliflower into Florets. Soak them in Salt water for 10-15 minutes. Blanch them in Hot water with little turmeric and Salt. Drain and Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat little oil, splutter cumin seeds, Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add Chopped tomatoes and half cup water, add all the dry masalas to it and Cook till tomatoes turn mushy and oil separates out.
- Add the Drained Cauliflower and Peas and milk, add Salt. Cover and Cook for 10-15 minutes. Garnish with Coriander leaves and Serve Hot with Appam/Roti's.
- If you don't have an Appam Pan, you can make it as a plain dosa on Tava or use your paniyaram pan/Abeleskiver Pan.
- If the dosa/appam doesn't form holes/Kannu, then the Baking Soda added is not enough, so add little more and Give it a brisk stir and try again.
- Add only required/specified amount of coconut milk or else the appam/dosa might stick to the Pan.
Sending this to Kids Delight - What kids Love for Summer hosted by Smitha, an Event by Srivalli and also to Healthy Food for Healthy Kids - Toddler Lunch, hosted by me, Event by Nithu and also to also Healthy Morsels - Baby and Toddler Food, happening @ Taste of pearl city